When you decide to move, there are several things you need to think of in order to do it smoothly. Firstly, you need to consider hiring a trustworthy moving company. Secondly, you need to find a way to get all the services you need, at the prices you can afford. Paying for something you don’t really need is not your best best. You should, however, invest in additional services if you actually need them despite their higher price. Although people often think that the service packagings and moving rates can’t be changed, that is not entirely true. Keep in mind nothing is set in stone. Hence, do not settle for an offer that doesn’t suit you completely. Check out these tips for negotiating a relocation package. They will help you get exactly what you want.
Information is the power
Before you start collecting estimates, you need to know what is possible to get from movers, average prices and what to look for in moving company. Therefore, the first thing to do is to learn the average cost of professional moving services. Next, find out which companies are trustworthy enough to work with. Lastly, research your options. Here are a few steps to help you gather all the necessary information:
- search for an average cost of moving a household similar to yours in size
- check the prices that refer to the same distance
- use a moving costs calculator in order to get the idea of the price for your move
- visit the websites of several moving companies in your area and see what they have to offer. For example, if you are from Pittsburgh, look for local movers Pittsburgh. And then, start comparing their rates and conditions.
- check the moving reviews of previous customers of the companies about their experiences
Once you collect the information, you will get a general idea of what a market is like. You will also know what to expect from professional movers. It goes without saying you’ll be aware of which companies to skip. Last, but not least, determine your moving budget.
Screen the moving company
Before you start negotiating a relocation package, you need to make sure you are dealing with reliable movers. Hence, check if the moving company have the proper license and experience. In order to avoid a moving scam, you should ask for the company’s details. Apart from a valid address, phone number, and website, there are few more things to pay attention to:
- verify the company’s licensing and insurance information – registration with FMSCA, BBB accreditation, and professional affiliations.
- check their complaint history by calling the FMCSA’s safety violation and consumer complaints department
If there are no red flags whatsoever, be wary of what to check before signing a moving contract.
Bring up as many details
Inform the movers about your budget limitations and services you would like them to take care of. In order to get a good deal, you need to bring up as many details about your move as possible:
- tell them the exact distance of your move. Some companies charge based on the distance while others charge their services by an hourly rate. So, you need to know your company of choice charges.
- the time window you need to relocate including the time you need to do the packing. How to make packing easier is time-consuming. If you are on short notice or if you’ve chosen to move during the moving season peak, you might not be able to lower the price. Hence, try to book movers ahead, if possible.
- you need to know and share the size of your inventory with a moving company.
- bring up all the additional moving services you need. So if you want to rent a self-storage Pittsburgh or get packing service as well, now is the time to ask for it.
Your negotiation skills are your secret weapon
Once you’ve collected several moving quotes from different moving companies, it’s time to try reaching the best deal. Typically, most of the companies would rather lower the price than losing a customer. In case you are moving in the middle of the moving season, chances are you won’t be able to reduce the price. But if this is not a case, take advantage of it to get a more suitable price.
First and foremost, pick the moving company you like the most. Then, kindly inform them you want to use their services but that you have been offered a lower price by their competitors. Then, tell them your lowest bid and ask if they are willing to price-match if not even beat the best deal you have received. If they really want to keep you as a customer, they will do their best to make it happen.
And remember, it’s never a bad thing negotiating a relocation package simply because you have nothing to lose. Don’t be shy or embarrassed, this has been common in the business world. Most noteworthy, the key to a successful negotiation is to reach an arrangement that will suit both parties. Consequently, if you are open to compromising and flexible about some relocation terms (booking ahead, agreeing on some specific moving date), you have a fair chance to strike a deal.
Be persistent when negotiating a relocation package
The most important thing in negotiating a relocation package is to be persistent. In most cases, people give up just before getting what they want. If the moving company you prefer is not willing to lower its original quote, don’t despair. You should let them sleep on it and try again in a day or two. Chances are you may have better luck the second time. Maybe you’ll get to talk to another moving representative who’s more open to compromises, or the mover may already have regretted not giving you a discount. Furthermore, saying no to the customer is never a good policy, and they know it. So even if they refuse your suggestion the first time, you should ask again. Who knows, you may get what you want! Make sure it’s indeed what you wish for.